Playing with MemoryMiner export
MemoryMiner and exporting. I’m figuring out how to export a library and then transfer that to my laptop, so that I can show you MemoryMiner if you’ll be at the SoCal Genealogical Jamboree (Twitter hashtag #scgs09) this Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The app is available on both Mac and Windows; I’ve got the Mac version, of course/ The export process isn’t the most obvious, so I’m writing about how I will accomplish it.
How I will… notice the future tense. This is still a work in progress.
The photo library dates back some time, and individual photos reside all over the frickin’ place on my computer—some in iPhoto libraries, some in folders each of which representing different scanning session, the most recent of which was an ego-scan session to compile a set of photos of myself for a birthday party invite. The photos themselves are pretty large, if they’re PSD (photoshop) files, because I scan them at fairly high rez. Many photos are over 20MB in file size. The largest, I think, is around 60 MB.
I decided to work with an external disk drive (easy to change from my main desktop computer to my laptop, and there’s extra space on it, too.)
Part 1: The false start (or, what not to do)
Under the file menu of MemoryMiner 1.86 (MacOS), there are a few options in the menu.
At the bottom is Export Library Archive, which sounds like what I wanted to do. So I selected that option, was presented with a dialog box, and watched the progress bar slowly indicate that all the photos had been written.
Allrightie, then, I thought, I’ll go and import it onto the laptop. But it didn’t work; the Open and Import wouldn’t recognize the files. Hmmmmm…. Maybe I should read the manual.
Nope, nothing in the library. Support forums? Nope. Now I know for a fact that the developer, John Fox, is very good with email technical support responses if I were to send him email. But I wanted to see if I could figure it out myself. I found the MemoryMiner demo video page, which has a video devoted to Save Library (3rd from the bottom).
Well, time to start over. And instead of the bottom menu option, try the Save As… option.
Part 2: The successful Export/Save As… process (or, what to do)
So I went back to my main computer, and MemoryMiner. Plugged the external drive back in. (of course, I had to complicate things by reducing the size of the largest of the photos, so that no photos were over 20 MB. Andthat required renaming the originals and then copying in the new ones. I figured—or hoped—that MemoryMiner would recognize the newer, smaller photos the next time it launched.)
In MemoryMiner’s File Menu, I selected Save As New Library. I navigated to a folder near the other folder I’d created, gave my new file a name, and clicked Save. MemoryMiner displayed a progress bar while it saved this second export attempt.
When it was done, MemoryMiner loaded up the new library. I didn’t want to work with the new one, so I closed the app and then disconnected the external drive…. but not before I looked at the difference between my two exports. Here they are in MacOS finder window, annotated.
With a single file name, it looks as though it will be easier to open or import on my other computer.
Part 3: Opening library on laptop
Disconnect external drive. Connect it to laptop. Copy file over.
Working on my laptop, I launched MemoryMiner. Here is what a fresh, brand-new MemoryMiner looks like:
From the File Menu, I selected Open Library. MemoryMiner presented me with a dialog box. I’m thrilled to report (with a screenshot!) that the second exported library did show up in the file navigation box.
Once I selected it, the application cogitated for a bit (this is, after all, a 1.6GB library!), and then everything appeared in the MemoryMiner window:
So, there it is. Done!
It’s on my laptop, which means that if you’ll be at the Genealogy Jamboree and you see me w/ my laptop open, I can (and will!) show you MemoryMiner.
And I’m sure there’ll be a small follow-up to this with further explanation about the Export Library Archive and what that’s good for.
One final note: I ended up renaming my big library from SusanExportWithTheLongName.mmlb to the default MemoryMiner.mmlb file name. I replaced the empty, default version that MemoryMiner created on my laptop when I first launched the application.
Thanks for the great post: I can see how the menu items can be confusing. The Export Library Archive option creates a single file that can be used for exchanging a library between the Mac and Windows versions. It’s called an archive because it actually is a zip fie (though the application shields you from this)
There are two screen movies that show the use of the Export Library Archive feature for moving libraries in both directions between the Mac and Windows versions:
Finally, I’d like everyone to know that a tremendous amount of effort has gone into speeding up the load time for larger libraries in the upcoming version 2.0. I’ll be blogging about the technical aspects of this in an upcoming post.
John, thanks for stopping by. I figured we’d get more info soon from you, and I was right!
The Export Library Archive option creates a single file that can be used for exchanging a library between the Mac and Windows versions. It’s called an archive because it actually is a zip fie (though the application shields you from this)
I don’t get where the zip part comes in (see 3rd image, above, of the two MemoryMiner exports). I got a folder full of folders (with photos), a db file and xml file and photos and stuff.
I saw the movies you mentioned, and while helpful overall, they don’t explain the experience I had of exporing and creating a folder full of folders/files versus a single file.